Kenjya-Trusant is seeking a Policy Support Specialist to support the Office of Environmental Quality and Trans-boundary Issues in the Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES/E/EQT).
Clearance Requirement: SECRET (must be active at time of application)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Support U.S. negotiation and implementation of international environmental agreements or decisions related to air quality, chemicals, and waste, and U.S. efforts to implement the Montreal Protocol, including:
- Engage the Department and U.S. inter-agency to facilitate development of positions and strategies to promote foreign policy priorities on multilateral environmental matters related to air quality, chemicals, and waste, and U.S. participation in the Montreal Protocol.
- Coordinate with Department country desk officers and U.S. Embassies on their diplomatic efforts to support U.S. goals related to air quality, chemicals, and waste, and U.S. participation in the Montreal Protocol.
- Undertake policy analyses to provide a better understanding of the implications of alternative policy approaches and subsequently make recommendations to EQT management for decision.
- Brief supervisor, co-workers, and principals as needed on ongoing efforts related to air quality, chemicals, and waste, and U.S. participation in the Montreal Protocol.
- Organize the logistics of conference calls, meetings, or other interactions with foreign governments, U.S. agencies, or stakeholders to discuss policy matters.
- Provide necessary coordination or analytical support to other officers as needed.
Special Knowledge Requirements:
- Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines
- Experience with environment and/or development policy, with experience in the areas of air quality, chemicals, and/or waste preferred but not required
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, including follow-up on pending tasks
- Ability to operate significantly under own initiative and as part of a team, crafting proposals and recommending effective approaches to tasks.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of actors, including other Management Analysts, the Front Office, the Executive Office staff, inter-agency colleagues, outside visitors, and facilities management at the Department of State.
- Microsoft office suite skills
- Familiarity with Department of State policies and procedures preferred, but not required